I know I'm not the only one with one of those cheap, fold-up doll strollers. I'm actually on my second one. The first one's cover ripped and the fold-up mechanism was broken by my 2nd child, who is a little rough on toys. This second one has had a ripped seat for, I don't know, a year or so. My children have been wheeling it around without a seat for all that time.
From time to time my daughter will ask when we will get a new one. And, several times I almost caved and just bought a new one. Again. But I knew it couldn't be THAT hard to sew a new seat. Finally this weekend, I pulled the old one out of my pile and got to work.
Here's the old one in all its glory. I know it only cost about $10, but you'd think they could make the fabric just a LITTLE more sturdy, considering it is small children who will be playing with it!
I basically followed this tutorial from vixenMade. I did a few things different:
1. I used a seam ripper to separate my pieces, because I was worried I would screw something up if I didn't use the exact same-size pieces.
2. I didn't have any bias tape, and wasn't in the mood to go buy some, so I used ribbon folded in half to sew around the rough edges. It worked fine, but you have to be really careful to catch all the layers when you sew.
3. I didn't create a buckle because, frankly, my kids can never open those things and are constantly yelling "Mom, come open this buckle for me!" I'm really tired of it. Vixen's stroller was just like a built-in fabric buckle, but I didn't even do that. Simplicity, folks. That's how I roll.
So, here's my brand new doll-stroller! Well, at least it looks brand new....
Now little Ellie has a place to sit (instead of being dragged with her dress hanging from one of the handles)!
I'd say this is a pretty easy project, so if your doll stroller has seen better days, give it a try!
Linking up to party this week- come check them out with me!