Thrifted Easter Decor | Occasionally Crafty: Thrifted Easter Decor

March 22, 2013

Thrifted Easter Decor


You've probably noticed a theme in my posts by now. I am cheap frugal. When you are a crafter, it can be a serious addiction! Having a wreath for every season, a decoration for every holiday and times in between can be expensive. So I do my best to stay in control and make amazing things inexpensively. 
I am definitely in lack of Easter decor so I took a trip to my local thrift store, which totally rocks, and perused through their Easter section, digging and looking for something I could turn into a great decoration. Boy did I find some awesome stuff! 
First was this wreath for $3. It was a great starting point with an awful ribbon which was EASY to fix!


Then I found this wooden bunny with fabric ears. Since the ears came out easily I felt like I could redo this and make it even cuter. I also found a tree and a new box to stick it in to hide the fading pastel basket.


So a brief explanation of what I decided to do with these elements. I removed the bunny's ears, sanded and painted it a dark grey. Then I searched through my stash of fabrics to find something easter-y, but a bit more modern for new ears. I settled on two complimenting fabrics and.... wait for it.... attempted to sew.

You guys, I am NOT a sewer. I made my pillow in 6th grade and that was it. I knew when I bought this bunny that sewing was going to have to happen. I dusted off my old Singer that I got at a garage sale, managed to fix the bobbin, and replicated the ears that already came with my bunny. I did that by tracing the old ears on to my two fabrics, and cut about a 1/4 inch around my lines to leave room for error. You can see I didn't cut them evenly. I placed right sides together and sewed around the ear, leaving a hole so i could reach in and turn it inside out. Thankfully nothing snagged or got stuck, so it was success on the first try. I turned it inside out and fed it through the hole in my bunny's head, creating two ears. I didn't even sew up the hole since it's mashed up inside his head, lol!  I'm SO proud of myself!



The last touch was to cover up the old basket that holds the wire tree. I stuck it inside the green box and shredded some grey cardstock in my paper shredder to create new grass. Then I threw a few dollar store eggs on my tree and it was done! I love how it came out!


My grand total for all of this (including the wreath) was $7. Seven dollars! You can't beat that.  Now head to your thrift store and see what you can create!
Photobucket
Connect with us! You can find us here:
Image Map

1 comment:

  1. Love what you did to re-do all of this stuff! So adorable, Laura! LOVE the bunny. Such a huge improvement. You have a great eye!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting our blog! We love comments and try hard to respond to each one. We only respond here if you are a no-reply commenter, so check your inbox for a reply!